Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recurring Guilt

Among the many things that Baba and Amir came to America for; new and better life, opportunities, freedom, there were ultimately two things that came out of their move to the United States.

"For me, America was a place to bury my memories. For Baba, a place to mourn his." (136)

Unfortunately for Amir, the past is still coming up from time to time, and even though he wanted to forget about his wrong-doings and move on with his life, the guilt from his past still haunts him. On the night of his graduation, Baba said something to Amir that had made everything worse.

"Then Baba rolled his head toward me. 'I wish Hassan had been with us today,' he said. A pair of steel hands closed around my windpipe at the sound of Hassan's name. I rolled down the window. Waited for the steel hands to loosen their grip." (141)

"Kabul had become a city of ghosts for me. A city of harelipped ghosts." (144)

The theme of guilt still has not ended, which makes me wonder when it will, or if it will last a lifetime, like Atonement. Amir's actions are still eating me up inside. I'm so frustrated that he never saved Hassan from Assef and his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment