Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Naive Amir & Oedipus

As we did a brief introduction to the ancient Greek tragedy, Oedipus The King, I really started to like the plot of it and went home and asked my stepdad all about it. I got him to explain to me what happens in the rest of the play that we're not studying in class because I was so anxious to know. What I ended up finding out was that Oedipus is not much different than Amir in a way.

Amir grows up his entire life, lacking the knowledge of who his real brother is, and is told that Hassan is just his servant.

Oedipus was born with a prophecy that told him he would end up killing his father and marrying his mother. This encouraged Oedipus to stay as far away as possible from them to ensure that that would never happen. One day, Oedipus came to a crossroads. Two men are in front of him and won't move to allow him to go the way he wants to go. Oedipus ends up killing them, and later realizes that the KIng was never his father, but one of those men was. He later realizes that Jocasta, his wife, is in fact his mother. Uhm, ew.

The shocking discoveries that both characters make are absolutely ridiculous, and in many ways, horrifying.

I wish we could read Oedipus the King in our class! I love the sounds of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment