Thursday, April 14, 2011

Amir & Soraya

Amir and Soraya's marriage is extraordinary to me. I had never seen the importance of Soraya in the book really, until they got married. She has proved herself, a loving, supportive wife to Amir and I have fallen in love with her character.

"Soraya dedicated herself to taking care of my father. She made his toast and tea in the morning, and helped him in and out of bed. She gave him his pain pills, washed his clothes, read him the international section of the newspaper every afternoon. She cooked his favourite dish...and took him out every day for a brief walk around the block." (181)

Soraya was never expected to do any of these things. She could have simply just looked out for her immediate family: herself and Amir, but because she is such a good person, she goes out of her way to help others as well.

"Soraya pulled me to her and the tears finally came." (185)

After Babe passed, Amir tried not to show his emotion and attempted to hide his feelings, but he knew that Soraya would never judge him for being upset. Amir is able to confide in her how he truly feels and can even cry in her arms for comfort.

"I remember you telling me that. How long will you be gone?" (201) Soraya asks Amir about going back to Kabul. This shows Soraya's understanding and support. She knows that Amir must go, and she doesn't even attempt to stop him, because she wants what's best for him. All she wants is for him to be safe though.

When Amir calls Soraya, and tells her that he wants to adopt Sohrab, he is forced to tell the entire story of Hassan in order to explain himself.

"Then I did what I hadn't done in fifteen years of marriage: I told my wife everything. Everything. I had pictured this moment so many time, dreaded it, but, as I spoke, I felt something lifting off my chest. I imagined Soraya had experienced something very similar the night of our khastegari, when she'd told me about her past." (342)

After explaining everything to her, Soraya said the most important thing she has ever said in the novel, which was,

"But I know this much: You have to bring him home. I want you too." (342)

This statement from Soraya proves how loyal, understanding, supportive and loving she is, and I love her for it. Not once did she ask Amir about why he acted the way he did, or why he never told her earlier. She never judge him, or made him feel ashamed because of it. She never used it against him afterwards for the sake of evil in a fight. She was gracious and she was sweet.

I wish every relationship could have elements of Amir's and Soraya's relationship to it. Part of it is their maturity, but part of it is their personality, and their forgivingness of flaws. I feel like in today's society that is a very uncommon trait to come by. Everyone is so critical of each other and it makes it difficult to find someone that will just love you for who you are as an individual, for all of your flaws. I'm glad that Soraya ended up making a positive change in Amir's life. She often put a smile on his face when he really needed one. And I'm glad she turned out to be so much more important than I remember her being. I know this story is fiction, but it still makes me happy thinking about how happy they are together.

1 comment: