Thursday, April 14, 2011

"For you, a thousand times over"


This quote has become one of the most significant and memorable quotes from the novel. Hassan originally says it to Amir at the beginning of the novel, to show his loyalty, love and dedication to Amir. At the end of the novel, Amir jumps into Hassan's spot and ask Sohrab if he can run the kite for him, and when Sohrab nods, he says to him,

"For you, a thousand times over." (391)

"I ran. A grown man running with a swarm of screaming children. But I didn't care. I ran with the wind blowing in my face, and a smile as wide as the Valley of Panjsher on my lips. I ran." (391)

Amir is trying to prove his love and devotion to Sohrab and wants Sohrab to accept him as his father. Amir is dying for his approval. This quote is so important because Hassan said this to Amir right before he ran his last kite ever, and was raped by Assef in the alleyway. Hassan did get the kite just like he told Amir he would.

Now Amir just wants to express his love to Hassan through Sohrab and almost use him as a way to see Hassan - Sohrab's looks, and actions remind Amir of Hassan.

No comments:

Post a Comment